As specified under Illinois School Code, a school district must incorporate into the school curriculum a component on Internet safety to be taught at least once each school year to students in grade three and above. (Public Act 095-0869)
State mandate objectives are as follows:
- Safe and responsible use of social network websites, chat rooms, electronic mail, bulletin boards, instant messaging, and other means of communication on the Internet.
- Recognizing, avoiding, and reporting online solicitations of students, their classmates, and their friends by sexual predators.
- Risks of transmitting personal information on the Internet
- Recognizing and avoiding unsolicited or deceptive communications received online.
- Recognizing and reporting online harassment and cyberbullying.
- Reporting illegal activities and communications on the Internet.
- Copyright laws on written materials, photographs, music and video.
To help teachers plan for this important topic, the technology department would like to offer the following resources:
- Digital Citizenship: Helping teachers, technology leaders and parents understand what students/children/technology users should know in order to use technology appropriately.
- Family Online Safety Institute: Working to make the online world safer for kids and their families through enlightened public policy, industry best practice, and good digital parenting.
- Illinois Attorney General Stop Cyberbullying: Information on cyberbullying trends and resources.
- OnGuardOnline: Links and resources provided by the Federal Trade Commission to help parents safeguard their children online.
- NetSmartz Workshop: An interactive, educational program of National Center for Missing and Exploited Children that provides age-appropriate resources to help teach children how to be safer online and offline. Designed for children ages 5-17, parents and guardians, educators, and law enforcement.
To help parents plan for this important topic, the technology department would like to offer the following resource:
- Common Sense Media: The nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. Every day, millions of parents and educators trust Common Sense reviews and advice to help them navigate the digital world with their kids. Together with policymakers, industry leaders, and global media partners, we're building a digital world that works better for all kids, their families, and their communities.